THE MUSEUM OF AFRICAN AMERICAN ART (MAAA) in Los Angeles is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1976 by noted artist, art historian, author, and educator Dr. Samella Lewis. Since 1980, the museum has been located on the third floor of the historic Streamline Moderne style building at 4005 Crenshaw Boulevard. The building first opened as a May Company department store in 1947, and it had been owned and operated by Macy’s since 2006. The Museum of African American Art is the longest continuous occupant of the building at 4005 Crenshaw Boulevard aside from the founding May Company department store.
The building where the museum is located has been under new ownership since Macy's sold the building to Harridge Development Group in August 2021. Under the new Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaza Partnership, the landmark building at the intersection of Crenshaw and Martin Luther King Jr. boulevards is expected to evolve into new uses that will benefit the community. Macy’s no longer owns or operates the building. However, the historic 1947 May Company building at 4005 Crenshaw is staying, and so is the Museum of African American Art!
The Museum of African American Art will exhibit in a temporary space inside Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaza while the building at 4005 Crenshaw Boulevard is being renovated. After the redevelopment period, which is expected to last approximately 18 to 24 months, MAAA will continue to occupy its renovated and preserved landmark location on the third floor at 4005 Crenshaw Boulevard.
We are working with the BHCP Partnership to identify an appropriate temporary mall space that will allow the museum to continue our planned exhibitions and programs within our nonprofit mission during the renovation period. The location of the museum's temporary mall space has not yet been confirmed.
We invite you to read the full MAAA Statement that details the history of the Museum of African American Art at 4005 Crenshaw Boulevard and responds to the ending of Macy’s ownership and operation of the building that housed its Baldwin Hills Store #520.